10/14/2005

Cultural/Personal vs Political

Okay, I saw this on another site and since this person evidently signed off and I couldn't personally respond, I felt the need to express my thoughts here:

Apparently, a fellow blogger on another site appreciates blogs with "political/significant news" as opposed to "personal stuff" they could get elsewhere. This is an opinion which is fine and dandy.

However, there is a form of study that views the personal/cultural as political (i.e. that with one, you inevitably have the other). For instance, culture influences politics and politics influences culture. A good example would be the role the religious fundamentalists are taking in politics currently. Religion is a strong personal and cultural force that has an impact on politics. Vice versa, our current conniving and fanatical government that has a propensity for denying civil rights has created a culture of fear and hate that has had a significant impact on people's personal lives. Can we not say that the debate of a woman's choice to choose intersects the cultural, personal, and political?

Everyone has their right to personal opinion in the blogs they visit. I tend to visit Americablog.org more these days than Democrats.org because I feel like I get a mix of political and personal. Besides, I see myself reflected in the comments and thoughts on the blog. I hope it's not a coming trend that is reflective of the party, but I find less of ME reflected by the Democrat website.

A quote from Adrienne Rich to leave you with on the cultural/personal and political intersections (from the book "Cultural Politics-Queer Reading" by Alan Sinfield):

"When someone with the authority of a teacher describes the world and you are not in it"-when your subculture is not acknowledged-"there is a moment of psychic disequilibrium, as if you looked into a mirror and saw nothing. It takes some strength of soul-and not just individual strength, but collective understanding-to resist this void, this nonbeing, into which you are thrust, and to stand up, demanding to be seen and heard." To develop that "collective understanding" is a project for cultural materialists (foreward viii).

7 Comments:

At 17:06, Blogger Tonito Bandito said...

Wow, you are on a roll, now! Three posts in one day. Hope I have inspired you to continue.

 
At 23:20, Blogger Beth said...

Linked you today, Callie...but you don't have trackbacks, otherwise I would have notified you that way.

Good Post.

 
At 06:46, Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

Stumbled across your blog and I **LOVE** it. (I'm going to add you to my Bloglines.) I agree with MJ about the Loving v. Virginia comparision and I truly believe it's only a matter of time. I also agree that the personal is political and vice versa.

BTW, it's a small world. I notice that the lovable and adorable Tonito Bandito reads your blog as well! :)

 
At 14:49, Blogger Tonito Bandito said...

stolie, i have been a fan of the exile since we met on the DNC Kickin Ass blog. Welcome to our small world, it will get bigger.

 
At 14:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

stolie, i have been a fan of the exile since we met on the DNC Kickin Ass blog. Welcome to

 
At 09:50, Blogger RedStateExile said...

Whoa!!!! I have traffic! Thanks guys. I took a couple of days off of work and took that time to clear my mind for a few days. It was VERY nice! :)

Now...back to your regularly scheduled blogging!

 
At 15:20, Blogger dorsano said...

Great post, Callie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home