1/30/2006

On Alito

I've been holding off on my thoughts about Alito until I knew what was going to happen. Not like I didn't know what was going to happen, but I wanted to believe in hope.

I'm not the only person upset tonight. I've visited other blogs and found quite a few that have a common thought: Fuck it, fuck it all!!! Lots of people are quiting the party. When you have 14 Democrats without the balls to stand up, what else can you feel? Others are REALLY pissed off and ready for a take over of this party. When we can't scare up 25 votes over a person like Alito (an unabashed racist and womanhater, not to mention what else), how can we hope that anything else can stand muster?

The few amount of gay rights we have gained over the years, like WA state getting a gay rights law passed in the last few days is already under attack, and bound to be overturned by an extremist court that only has one objective. Keep the right extremists in power.

I know that a lot of people don't like to hear talk like this because it sounds too much like Republican talk, but I think it's past time we demand "toeing the party line". We MUST demand this of Democrat candidates and clean out the dirt and stench that has infiltrated a once proud party. Democrats have for so long stood for equality and civil rights, but now are scared of the "L" word in these fucking red states. There's too many weak legislators that don't understand what it REALLY means to be a Democrat. We have to "set the tone" and demand they get in line. Those that don't can join the other party. After all, that's what Republicans are there for now. To be racists and bigots and haters of all that is American.

Again, fuck 'em. Fuck 'em all. Screw anyone that has voted for these fascist pigs. This is what you wanted. A court that has no regard for the Constitution, has no regard for individual rights, for women to control their body, and for minorities to be equal citizens with the majority.

If you have a problem with this, then YOU ARE A BIGOT!!! No more apologies and no more regrets for the things we say. YOU ARE WRONG to support this administration and Alito. It may be 5, 10, or 15 years but you will see the folly of your ways.

Perhaps I'll get railed over this, but I don't see any other way. Like many of you, I want to take this country back and I want more Democrats in office, but I want the RIGHT kind of Democrats in office. If you all can tell me a better way than "toeing the party line," I'll be glad to hear it.

I refuse to have Republican-lite claiming Democrat as their party. Don't dirty our party with your filth!

3 Comments:

At 19:20, Blogger dorsano said...

Callie, as I approach dotard-hood, one thing I've learned is that things are never as bad (or good) as they appear.

I listened to almost all of the Senate hearings and if Alito was forthright in his answers, I think he'll end up voting somewhere along the lines of Chief Justice Kennedy.

That will tilt the court to the "right" but "equal under the law" is a long tradition in U.S. Jurisprudence - it's more American than it is either "liberal" or "conservative" and I don't expect Alito's appointment to alter the landscape much for gays and lesbians.

"Marriage Amendments" to the constitution are another matter and it's tough for me to imagine how any court would deal with that sort of conflict in the constitution itself.

 
At 19:31, Blogger dorsano said...

A woman's right to some privacy in reproductive decisions is another matter.

Roe v Wade was actually pretty restrictive compared to what we have today. Doe v. Bolton redefined "life or health" of the mother in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters to mean almost anything.

It's likely that's we'll see more restrictions placed on abortions and like I posted once before, I think that can be done without placing undo burden on a woman.

As long as the court doesn't rule that a fertilized egg, unattached to the uterus, is a U.S. citizen deserving equal protection under the law, I think things will turn out OK in the end.

 
At 07:34, Blogger RedStateExile said...

Compassionate...conservative

You are the prime example of why those two words are an oxymoron, and why there's no use for that kind of attitude in the Democratic Party.

It's much more appropriate the middle-finger flying kids of the Republican Party I saw at my protest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home