11/23/2005

Happy Thanksgiving Day?

Focus on the Family wants to make sure that New Yorkers don't have a "Happy" Thanksgiving Day, at least in a "gay" way.

Instead of spending time with their own families (since they are SOOOOO family values-oriented, you know) on Thanksgiving, they would rather spend that precious family time pelting New Yorkers at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade with anti-tolerance ad campaign.

Focus on the Family has announced plans to distribute 5,000 balls during Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade to promote a website it operates that claims homosexuality is a disorder that can be changed through faith.

The balls - called "stress balls" are part of a major effort by FOF reach a wider audience during the holidays. Each ball carries the name of its advice site http://www.troubledwith.com. The Web site also carries faith-based advice on topics ranging from eating disorders to depression.

The balls will be tossed out by volunteers along the route and is not part of the official parade. Because they will be on public property there is little Macy's can do.

Last week the Colorado-Springs-based FOF began running ads on the giant electronic billboard in Times Square, and on Monday, it launched ads on "Dr. Phil" and "The Oprah Winfrey Show" on New York television stations.


This ad campaign is not an accident though.

The conservative ministry appears to be in a desperate search for new, younger followers to tune in to the radio show by Focus founder James Dobson. Web site creator Steve Watters told the Associated Press that the number of listeners has not been growing in recent years and that most people who call for help are in their late 40s.

These folks just need to get a life! What is it with this perpetual need to ruin perfectly happy events? Seriously, whatever happened to spending quality time with your OWN family? When people spend this much time worrying about other people's families and personal lives, they are surely neglecting their own and are bound to get a BIG bite in the ass one of these days.

FOCUS ON YOUR OWN DAMN FAMILY, DOBSON!!! (or at least go pick on another cartoon character)

10 Comments:

At 09:33, Blogger RedStateExile said...

Perhaps YOU should go back to that site and look at the "I Need Help With..." section.

I have a VERY legitimate reason to be bothered by it.

Besides, the point is that these "family-values" folks need to be spending time with their own families during the holidays if they care so much about families.

If I had a "real" chip on my shoulder, I'd be flying to NY right now so I could throw those balls back at them.

 
At 10:17, Blogger RedStateExile said...

gay activists using his image to promote their positions

Exactly how??? I wasn't aware SpongeBob was the official gay mascot? Nobody told me!

Either comment by Dobson is ludicrous and delusional.

I have YET to see SpongeBob on ANY homepage of ANY gay organization saying "Hey kids, watch my show and you too can become gay!"

Malarcky, either way!

 
At 10:25, Blogger RedStateExile said...

Evidently, and as some of our prior conversations have shown, you don't understand the power of words.

It doesn't take much for an emotionally distraught person to infer messages from a publicly promoted website.

As someone with counseling training, I see the danger in randomly posting advice for the masses. It's not safe and it's certainly not appropriate to advertise it without understanding the individual needs of a client.

While the organization hopes to drum up more money, they are also promoting advice for life issues. The common person, esp. someone who may be emotionally fragile, can't differentiate between these or understand that maybe they need to take it with a grain of salt.

It wouldn't be any different than if I started posting advice columns on this blog then went out advertising it. If I NEVER meet with the people I'm advertising to one-on-one, it's simply dangerous.

 
At 10:42, Blogger RedStateExile said...

Stomp one for me while you're at it, Doogman. Having faith doesn't mean you lose your mind. Unfortunately, those who push religion to the extreme like these groups fixate on those who can't and don't think for themselves or are easily led by the next "cause." Too bad those causes can't seem to do more good than harm. :)

Thanks for your comments and welcome to my blog!

 
At 17:56, Blogger dorsano said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Callie - to you and everyone you love. Enjoy the weekend.

 
At 13:14, Blogger RedStateExile said...

Yes, I know who Dear Abby (with a "y") is. Sometimes she got it right and sometimes she said some pretty stupid things. I read her all the time growing up and even wrote her one time when I was trying to deal with coming out. I don't remember if it ever got published though. I was pretty young.

There were times when I would read her advice and think "I'm glad I'm not on the receiving end of that advice or I'd want to shoot myself!"

It's just not wise to try to give a one size fits all advice to the general populace.

 
At 14:12, Blogger RedStateExile said...

The mission of the We Are Family Foundation (the so-called gay organization) that set Dobson off so bad:

We Are Family Foundation celebrates our common humanity and the vision of a global family by creating and supporting programs that inspire and educate individuals of all ages about diversity, understanding, respect and multiculturalism; and to support those who are victims of intolerance.

Oh, horror!!! They want to teach kids about understanding and respecting diversity!!! What the hell is this world coming to when you can't even play "kick the spik" in school anymore?

You know, I think I even saw a reference to...tolerance. Eeeekk!!!

OMG! Hehehehehe, too funny!

 
At 14:15, Blogger RedStateExile said...

You know, I think someone may have gotten this poor organization confused with Rosie O'Donnell's cruise line "R Family Vacations" and the campy gay song "We are family."

TOO MUCH TIME ON SOMEONE'S HANDS!!!

{{{Snooooozzzzeeeee}}}

 
At 06:29, Blogger RedStateExile said...

So, you hate "a view, or policy, that immigrants, and others, should preserve their cultures with the different cultures interacting peacefully within one nation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiculturalism

That's sad. I guess you would be like that guy that was sitting behind me at the Mexican restaurant last night and was irked because they were playing a Christmas song in Spanish. Well, DUH, dude! You want to hear English Christmas songs go eat at Cracker Barrel.

And you know what, if I was in the another country that I knew hated me enough to kill me, I wouldn't do something to piss them off. But this is America and we're supposed to be better than that.

Hate...indeed. That says it all.

 
At 09:47, Blogger RedStateExile said...

I have no desire to learn from others.

Really???

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Learning from others doesn't make you weak, but it can keep you from making their mistakes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home